Ways to help your child at home - Phonics
Phonics is a way of teaching children to read by breaking words up into their sounds and then blending them together.
Phonics provides children with a phased strategy to learning the sounds they need to read
‘read aloud accurately books that are consistent with their developing phonic knowledge and that do not require them to use other strategies to work out words’ (Department for Education, 2013)
Some ways to help at home
- Playing ‘I spy’
- Using the sound mats to play fastest finger first
- Making your own aliens words using the sounds
- Reading frequently and accurately
- Encourage writing in the home using small notes, post it notes, letters, lists and even emails.
- Reading signs/newspapers and texts other than their reading book to encourage connections to be made